Album Review: Good Person by Ingrid Andress

Devan Mehta, Opinions Editor

Pop-country artist Ingrid Andress takes listeners on a vivid journey through the good, bad, and ugly of relationships in her new album Good Person, released on August 26, 2022.

The album’s first single (and its title track “Good Person”) explores the most critical part of any relationship: your relationship with yourself. What’s unique about this track is how it sets the tone for the album, giving a glimpse into Andress’s storytelling skills, without knowing revealing much.

The title of each song can take an entirely new meaning in its lyrics. Take the track “Seeing Someone Else”. Upon first listening, it seems like it’s about cheating; however, she is singing about how her partner sees her as someone she used to be. 

The album had some clear favorites, with high streaming on songs like “Yearbook”, the second track on the album which follows the dysfunctional relationship of Andress’s high school sweetheart parents. 

“No Choice”, though not the most upbeat and catchy of the tracklist, illustrates the hardships of leaving a relationship after being left “no choice” when a partner mistreats you. The artist finds a happy medium between the lines of country and pop that is enjoyable for listeners of both genres.

Finally, two standout songs truly encompass the album: tracks “Blue” and “Feel Like This” show the positive side of love. “Blue” gives a soft ballad of exploring new discoveries that love has to offer. It is the perfect song to daze off to. “Feel Like This” has a more upbeat tune, perfectly summarizing the album with the lyrics “Cause I don’t know what this is/but I think love’s supposed to feel like this”.

Good Person entails an emotional listening journey that can inspire any listener. 

Overall Rating: 9/10 •