Ranking mac ’n cheese in Tenley

Luther Hoy
BATTLE OF THE MAC – Luther and Devan try all the mac ‘n cheeses to crown the best.

Would you believe it if we told you that the Beacon has never reviewed the mac n’ cheese in Tenleytown before? How catastrophic is that? Mac n’ cheese, the ultimate comfort food and arguably one of the best dishes ever created, is constantly overlooked. We have decided that must change. Over a couple of off-campus lunches, we created an official ranking of the best mac n’ cheese Tenley has to offer. 

1. Angelicos – $4.99      

This mac n’ cheese was the biggest question mark going into this review process; neither of us had ever tried it. And while we were hopeful, the only thing this mac n’ cheese had going for it was that it was larger than all the others (which is why it made it that much more painful to have to throw it away). Though it was appetizing at first glance, it was ultimately flavorless, and the little flavor it did have was truly awful. We had to wait an excruciating amount of time for this “mac n’ cheese,” and were incredibly disappointed. 2.5/10

THUMBS DOWN – Luther and Devan are both disgusted by Angelico’s mac ‘n cheese. (Luther Hoy)
  1. Wawa – $4.17             

Wawa was… unique. It had a taste, that’s for sure. It was bright orange but somehow was not cheesy enough. Also, it gave Luther a stomach ache for the rest of the day. But when all is said and done, it is not as bad as Angelicos, and that is what matters. Thankfully, it is very reasonably priced. While Wawa is a Tenleytown cult classic, we do not recommend their mac n’ cheese. 4/10

1. Chick-fil-A – $4.79       

Ah, Chick-fil-A. Another Tenleytown cult classic, yet slightly less chaotic than Wawa, in both the environment and mac n’ cheese. Though the portion was small, there was a significant amount of cheese, possibly almost too much? This is one of the two mac n’ cheeses on this list that is baked, which was amazing. However, once you eat all of the baked parts, the taste just sort of falls flat. Devan thought it was “slightly better than mediocre,” while Luther thought it “exceeded expectations.” 6.5/10

1. Panera – $7.40      

Okay, okay, we know, the price is horrible. But it’s hard when the mac n’ cheese at Panera is so stinking good. Plus, it comes with a side, so maybe it’s worth it? It is not an off-putting color, has an immense amount of cheesy goodness, and has a unique pasta shape. This mac n’ cheese knocked it out of the park, and we expected it to be the top pick going into this review, but the price was simply too abominable. 7/10

1. Popeyes – $3.99         

We were surprised too! Though it is (sort of) a trek from JR, the wonder that is Popeyes has truly incredible mac n’ cheese. In addition to being the cheapest on this list, the Popeyes mac n’ cheese has a wonderful flavor, with the perfect ratio of cheese to pasta. It had a thick layer of baked cheese on the top that made it even more delicious. Though the portion was small, we highly recommend Popeyes, as it has the best mac n’ cheese in Tenleytown. 8.5/10