Get excited for candygrams!

As DCPS veterans, we know the joys of the candygram, and those of us who had the privilege to witness the La La Love Grams last year can attest to how Jackson-Reed has our back when professing our undying love. 

Despite this, we know our school harbors plenty of unique individuals who may want to go rogue for their V-day gifts and stand apart from the crowd. Of course, your Valentine’s present has to reflect your Valentine, so if candy grams aren’t your style, we, your lovely local heroes, are here to provide a selection of fantastical gestures for your perusal. 

First, and in our personal opinion, most fabulous (because who really wants to save the best for last), are the wares of PotatoParcel.com. This site, as suggested by its name, allows you to send someone a personalized message on a real-life potato, and mails it directly to their home, with a selection of other gifts. If you think it doesn’t get any better than that, let us tell you it does! Not only do they send the potato, but in that particular package they also send a cute pink teddy bear, and a flowery, red card. You just can’t do Valentines without them!  If you like the hand-delivery aspect of the candy gram but the lollipop isn’t quite right for your Valentine, this just might be for you! It offers the same romance and personalization as a handwritten letter with the extra creativity points of a tater as a canvas. Moreover, their Valentine’s products are 25% off, so order quick! 

Following the personalization theme, there is no end to the fun, personal items you can send your Valentine. From personalized socks to pillows and blankets with your face on them, this is a hilarious option for anyone in doubt about what to gift your Valentine this holiday. Not only can you send your face, but don’t be afraid of creativity! Add your faces together and maybe a pet or two for the dog lovers. Find something you know they’ll be obsessed with, be it a mug for the coffee drinkers or a cheese board for those who might not act their age. Whatever it is, it’s hard to go wrong with a fun, personalized item and if it doesn’t work out for Valentine’s, feel free to try again for Mother’s Day! 

Now, we understand if personal branding isn’t your go-to, and although we are firm believers in the magic of the potato, we suppose we can forgive you for not loving that one either. We’re here to the rescue again with yet another wonderful answer to your Valentine’s qualms: a bucket full of confetti! And before you say anything, hear us out. This business was meant solely to spread love and cheer through the means of color, and what better day to spread love and cheer than Valentine’s? With tens of options to give, ranging from confetti poppers to books about happiness to confetti catchers, there are no shortages to the possibilities you could gift someone this February 14th. Although you must be thinking we’re insane, check out their website (theconfettibar.com) before making your final order.

Whoever you’re shopping for, we hope this is a solid jumping-off point for you, and if all else fails, always remember you can fall back on the lavender-scented lobster (microwavable too) that did not make the cut for this article.