Best festivals this spring season

Frances Leibovich

April showers bring May flowers, and what do May flowers bring? Cherry blossoms! The DMV has several colorful ways to celebrate the spring, ranging from feasts to flowers and films to fests.  

The National Cherry Blossom Festival

A tradition in DC since 1927, the National Cherry Blossom Festival is a buzzing celebration where school children reenact the original planting of the cherry blossom seeds. Since then, it’s become an honored event cherished annually every spring. Although the dates have not yet been confirmed, the festival will likely start on March 20th and last until April 14th. Held near the Tidal Basin, the reenactment will feature Petalpalooza, a Blossom Festival Parade, and more!

Blossom Kite Festival

Bringing kite enthusiasts from all over, the Blossom Kite Festival is one of the many activities related to the cherry blossom season in DC.  Including live performances, choreographed dances, and kite-making competitions, it will be held on March 30th, from 10-4 PM, at the Washington Monument Grounds.

Flower Mart

An annual tradition held on the grounds of the Washington National Cathedral, the Flower Mart includes food, music, and many adorable shops. With lots of hidden treasures, such as clothes, books, jewelry, flowers (obviously), and more, there’s something for everyone. The lively spring market will last from May 3rd to the 4th.

DC Jazz Festival

The DC Jazz Fest is exactly what it sounds like: a ceremony featuring over thirty musical acts throughout the span of three days. Beginning in 1993, this spring is the 31st annual Jazz Fest, marking over three decades of the festival. It will be held from June 7th to 9th at the Merriweather Post Pavilion. Although the event is held in late spring, still check out the showcase to witness vibrant jazz acts from all over the country.

The DMV’s exciting festivals and ceremonies are unmatched, highlighting the beauty of DC while also ensuring that there’s a variety of activities for everyone to enjoy. For more, check out the DC Events Calendar!