Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

The Young Woman’s Project: empowering and educating DC youth

During Women’s History Month, it remains crucial to recognize that young women are the future of womanhood. One of Jackson-Reed’s Community Based Organization connections, the Young Women’s Project (YWP), recognizes that fact and works to elevate young people in the DC area.

Founded for and by young people in 1992, the YWP has continued to work to benefit DC youth through its multicultural education practices. The YWP’s mission of building the leadership and power of young people remains paramount. The goal of participation in the various YWP programs is the expansion of local youth rights and opportunities for disadvantaged young people in DC.

YWP programs guide youth through a process of personal transformation so they can become leaders in their peer groups, schools, families, and communities who are able to analyze problems, identify solutions, and advocate for change. They work to do this through providing ample opportunity for young people to educate their peers on a variety of issues.

Through their very own Youth Health Educator Program, the YWP has employed, trained, and paid over 300 young people in DC to teach their fellow classmates about sexual wellness. These peer educators receive a starting salary of $7.25/hour, while working four to six hours each week during school or in the YWP office space. Lunchroom presentations and condom distributions are weekly tasks for this position.

As peer educators, these young people can motivate their peers to speak up on issues that trouble them. The YWP provides a thorough list of contacts within the DC government and encourages people to take action in regard to unsatisfactory local policy. Several YWP staff members, peer educators or not, have testified in DC Council meetings to further legislation in regards to sexual health education, ensuring equity in school grounds, and more. Recently, the YWP worked diligently behind-the-scenes to develop the DC State Learning Standards for Health Education, alongside the State Board of Education, DCPS, and OSSE, that was implemented in 2016.

Without speaking up, nothing will change. The YWP amplifies young people’s voices, ensuring that all are heard. Their main office is just a few Metro stops away in Dupont Circle. If any of these initiatives interest you, please reach out to the organization and continue to make an impact on your community!