Celebrating Women’s History Month!

Now that it is March, it is officially Women’s History Month! Women’s History Month is a dedicated time to celebrate the women from the past. It is with their achievements and dedication that women’s rights has been able to develop in the United States. We also take this month to acknowledge women’s roles in society.

Women’s History Month began as a celebration in Santa Rosa, California in 1978. The Educational Task Force of the Sonoma County Commission on the Status of Women created a ‘Women’s History Week’ which began on March 8. Two years later, women groups and historians, led by the National Women’s History Project, achieved the attention of President Jimmy Carter. Carter then issued the first President Proclamation, stating that each week of March 8 would be Women’s History Week. Women’s History Week remained until 1987, when Congress passed public law 100-9 which established March as Women’s History Month. 

Each year in March, there is a different theme for Women’s History Month. The theme is decided by the National Women’s History Alliance, a non-profit organization made in 1980 to promote multicultural women’s history. For 2024, the theme for the month is “Women who advocate for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion”. This means appreciating the women that fought against gender discrimination and sexist stereotypes.

Allegra Penny, the Women’s History teacher, expresses that this month allows students to widen their perspective about women. The class allows students to take female studies to the next level that other history courses touch on briefly. The students are able to focus on broad topics, while diving deeper into other developments. “It’s really cool because we have a lot of space in our course to adjust to student interests”, expresses Penny. She feels that students have interest in the topic, but it becomes difficult with little knowledge of certain events. 

If you’re looking for a way to celebrate Women’s History Month, DC has numerous options. You can check out the National Museum of Women in the Arts on New York Avenue or go to the National Gallery of Art for free admission. There 200 images of Dorothea Lange, one of the greatest photographers who focused on the capture of people, are on display. Another option is going to the National Museum of Asian Art, where all throughout March you can receive a tour free of charge about the women in their art collection. 

During Women’s History Month, there are plenty of things you can do to celebrate, outside of visiting museums. One small step to take is simply researching a woman that inspires you, or showing appreciation to any woman you know.