Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

Best and worst dressed at the 2024 Golden Globes

As two extremely online teenage girls, we find ourselves more than qualified to evaluate the looks from the 2024 Golden Globes red carpet. This year brought a wide array of looks and showed us that there are some things even Florence Pugh cannot pull off. We also noticed several themes in this year’s Golden Globes: an excessive amount of monochromatic fashion, especially red and white gowns. Not sure what inspired this movement, but it gave us some of our favorite looks. 

Also, there was a lot of sheer and tulle on the carpet this year, something that the stars have some trouble succeeding in. Our full thoughts on every single outfit is probably more pages than War and Peace, so we’ve decided to compile our top five best and worst looks from this year:

Best Dressed:

Rachel Brosnahan

Rachel Brosnahan appeared on the red carpet looking simply marvelous! She was nominated for Best Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy for her role in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Her dazzling red dress and matching bold lip shined, and the look was tied together perfectly with the very on-trend bow in her hair – as major hair bow fans, we loved it. Brosnahan definitely made it onto our best-dressed list. 

Ayo Edebiri

As Edebiri levels up to a new level of fame, after her recent appearance on ‘The Bear’, she’s also leveling up in our eyes for her incredible fashion. This is one of the many fantastic ensembles she debuted during this year’s awards season. The regal train and eye-catching red and light touch of tulle made this dress a hit for us. Later in the night, her adorable acceptance speech only made us love her more.

Taylor Swift

Look, we know, Taylor Swift is absolutely everywhere. But it cannot be denied that she looked gorgeous in this Gucci dress. With a sleek silhouette, strappy open back, vibrant color and shimmering diamond earrings, this was without a doubt one of the top looks of the night for us. We would also love to think it’s an easter egg – does anyone else smell Reputation (Taylor’s Version)?

Helen Mirren

An unexpected winner for us this year was Helen Mirren. Nominated for her show, ‘1923,’ She walked the carpet in this extravagant gown and matching coat. We were very pleasantly surprised by this look from 78-year-old Helen. The eye-catching purple created a draw we couldn’t ignore, and her choice of accessories – especially the twinkling Harry Winston diamond necklace – got her a spot on our favorites list. 

Hunter Schafer 

Hunter Schafer walked the red carpet in this very on-brand dress. She’s well known for liking bold, distinctive attire and she did not disappoint at this year’s Golden Globes. We really love the nod this gives to Hunger Games fashion – it feels like something straight from Effie Trinket’s closet. The ethereal, flowy, uniqueness of the dress and Schafer’s ability to pull off practically anything puts this look up there for best dressed in our book. 

Worst Dressed:

Sarah Snook

Snook was nominated for her role in the show ‘Succession’, but this was certainly not a success. Sheer dresses are definitely a common theme for this year’s red carpet looks, but the style has proven to be a somewhat disastrous one. This dress gives us everything we hope to avoid in an outfit – from the polka dots covering her neck and stomach to the shapeless tulle skirt, the dress’s messy blend of textures and fabrics is a clear cry for help. 

Karen Gillan

Karen Gillan’s vision with this look is interesting but has an incredibly poor execution. This Iris van Herpen haute couture piece could be considered art by many; however, art belongs in a museum, not the red carpet of the Golden Globes. The color of the nude base and the paper-like look of her silver scales almost make the dress look cheap and is in stark contrast to many of the other beautiful gowns on the carpet. This is all not to mention that the look does not suit her at all. The shape of the “dress” adds unproportional angles to her figure, the length of the dress isn’t flattering, and if that wasn’t enough, the stark color difference between the nylon underlayer and her true skin tone throws the whole look off. 

Greta Gerwig

We were both huge fans of Barbie, so when Greta Gerwing showed up on the red carpet, we were shocked by the distinct difference between the quality of the movies she directs and the clothes she wears. Over the years as fashion has evolved, more and more designers have tried some variation on making the trash bag look cute, and this look is no exception. Even though it seems fine from the waist down, the uneven baggy neckline immediately assaults your vision. The gloves are a nice touch, but we’re afraid that nothing can save this look after the high belted waist and poor hair choice that came into play. 

Natasha Lyonne

This dress begs a couple questions. For instance, how does she sit down? Can she even move? Does she even get poked in the eye by her own neckline? To us, this dress looks like the combination of the puka shell necklaces that were trending a couple of years ago and a pinata a group of ten-year girls would demolish at a birthday party. In fact, we better call in the ten-year-old girls because this look has got to go.

Bella Ramsey

Bella Ramsey is well known for their role in the post-apocalyptic show The Last of Us, and it seems that they have started incorporating themes of the show into their outfit because we thought the only place we would see an outfit this ugly was the end of the world. The shirt starts off well with a nice blue color but goes so far downhill it falls off a cliff. The fake pocket is unnecessary and tacky, the zipper is likens the look to an Adidas tracksuit, and the collar, lapels, and tight fit make it look like they just got out of 4 years of military service. The fit of the pants makes them look like a 12-year-old boy at his school dance, and the chunky shoes appear to be a last-ditch attempt at saving the outfit. We’re all for trying new things Bella, so we strongly suggest a new stylist should be at the top of that list.

We also wanted to give out a special shoutout to all the male stars who showed up in a black tuxedo and called it a day. In 2024, it is absolutely unacceptable for men to get away with wearing boring outfits just because they’re men. There are just too many fun options out there for Timothee Chalamet to not be showing up to the red carpet in a sparkly ball gown.  

We hope you enjoyed our reviews for the 2024 Golden Globes red carpet looks. This year gave us some excellent outfits and some horrific ones. We got to see attire from fresh talent in Hollywood that excited us for the future and some looks that made us hope certain A-listers will level up their design choices for next year. From the celebs who stayed on trend to those who went out of the box, we thoroughly enjoyed judging all of them. Despite the Golden Globes’ issues with hiring an actually funny host, we certainly got some solid entertainment from the award show this year.