Theater season returns!

Simon Holland, Editor-in-Chief

Due to the Jackson-Reed auditorium undergoing repairs, the theater has relocated to a temporary home: room WB207一the Black Box.  

Much smaller than the auditorium, the Black Box serves as drama teacher Daniel Iwaniec’s classroom during the day and will provide an array of new opportunities. 

While the smaller space will see reduced cast sizes, Iwaniec explains it will give performers the chance to, “sing and perform to someone who is five feet away…the connections are so much stronger.” 

FALL PLAY: Agatha Christie’s “And Then There Were None” is this year’s fall play, following ten strangers (all with terrible secrets) who are confronted with a murder mystery where any of them could be the killer.

Iwaniec guarantees a thrilling show. “It’s the first time we’ve done something horror-based in a while, and I’m really excited about it.” Rehearsals are already under way, and performances are expected to run the first two weekends of November in the Black Box.

SPRING MUSICAL: This spring, we will see a production of Stephen Sondheim’s “Into the Woods.” An amalgamation of assorted fairy tales, “Into the Woods” surrounds a baker and his wife who meet fairy tale characters as they try to break a curse placed on them by a witch.

Jackson-Reed’s “Into the Woods” will use immersive storytelling. Senior and stage manager Zachary Hammond explained that the goal is to transform the Black Box into a fairy tale world. “When you walk in, you’re in this whole new environment,” Hammond said. Auditions are set to happen in February, with the goal of May performances.

PLAYERS: Iwaniec isn’t the only one producing theater at Jackson-Reed. The Players, led by 12 upperclassmen, are organizing Play In A Day productions, where students have only 24 hours to write, direct, and perform short one-act plays. 

They are planning to hold Play In A Day on October 21-22. Anyone interested can attend the interest meeting after school October 12, in W221.

MUSICAL WRITING WORKSHOP: Led by senior Adam Callandrillo, the musical writing workshop offers writers a space to develop their own musicals and plays. The workshop will culminate with a performance of the new shows in June. 

Callandrillo is excited to “work with the writers, and go through the process. It’s definitely a journey for everyone.” Interested writers can reach out to Adam at [email protected], and actors and directors should keep their eyes out for announcements in the coming months. 

STAGE CREW: There are positions open for tech, set construction, costume design, and more. Iwaniec says that designing elements for a smaller room will be a fun challenge this year. Stage crew hopefuls should talk with Iwaniec.

Although the auditorium is out of use, Jackson-Reed theater is still full of opportunities. There’s something for everyone一actors, writers, and viewers alike.