Shakespeare takes the stage

Albert Malhotra, Multimedia Editor

Shakespeare is back at Wilson, and it’s returning with a hit. Streaming February 12 on Wilson Live, The Wilson Players are bringing “Much Ado About Nothing” to the black box theater—the first play they have produced since returning from virtual learning. 

“Much Ado About Nothing” is a play full of love, comedy, and drama, a perfect show for the climate at Wilson. The story covers life in Messina, following the lives of two heated relationships—Hero and Claudio, and Beatrice and Benedick. 

The entire town pushes for Beatrice and Benedick to embrace their love for each other, but they are too stubborn and thick to see it themselves. Hero, the Father of Leonato, and Claudio, soldier of noble prince Don Pedro, fall in love at first sight but face complications and are forced to reevaluate the trust they have for people around them.

Due to COVID-19, precautions are being taken to ensure maximum safety for the show. In accordance with current DCPS guidelines, each member of the show will be able to invite two audience members and each actor will wear a mask while performing. The show will also be live streamed at 2:30 and 7:30, as well as an edited version that will be sold. 

The play is being directed by two Wilson alum: returning Director Jill Roos and 2016 graduate Zachary Nachbar-Seckel. The two are passionate, skillful directors and the perfect duo to take on a play in under 30 days. 

It’s certainly a challenge to produce a play in the midst of a pandemic, but students at Wilson are fit for the challenge. Expect great things to come from “Much Ado About Nothing”, brought to you by the Wilson Players. •