Choir comes together for festive concert

Alex Holmes, Written Content Editor

Wilson has many events that come and go, easily forgotten. The Holiday Splendor Concert is not one of those. The choir’s “Holiday Splendor Winter Choral Concert” took place on Tuesday, December 11, from 7:00-9:00 p.m. in the auditorium.

Assistant Principal Gregory Bargeman opened the festivities by saying that, “One thing… I like about Wilson is that it has all these traditions — and [one] tradition that I look forward to every year is the choir performance.”

The annual concert is, “A time for the choir to show what we’ve been working on and to celebrate the holiday season,” according to junior Caroline Durr, a member of the advanced choir.

The concert certainly showed off a great range of songs, including Christmas classics like “Holly Jolly” and “Silent Night,” golden oldies “Come Fly With Me” and “Blackbird,” and modern hits like “This Is Me” and “Perfect”.

Aside from singing, there was also plenty of dancing, from the KPOP dancers to Lily Guo’s hip hop performance. Instruments were given a share of the spotlight during the musical prelude, a piano solo by Kevin Harris, and in “Wonderwall”, which was sung by Hannah Dorosin accompanied by her dad as guitarist.

As every year, alumni of the choir program joined the current classes on stage for multiple songs. Freshman Meredith Simon, another choir member, thought it was, “really cool bringing together different generations of Wilson music,” and Durr added that her favorite part of the concert was “Getting all together.  [There are] individual choir classes [that perform together for the event, and the] alumni join as well.”

One important aspect of “Holiday Splendor” that separates it from other events is its cost. As sophomore Aidan Herz put it, “A lot of Wilson shows [you] have to pay [for]. This [Holiday Splendor] is something everybody can enjoy because it’s free.”

Herz, also part of the choir, said that his favorite song was “This Is Me” because it shows that “You shouldn’t be ashamed of who you are. You are you, and that makes you special.”

The “Holiday Splendor Winter Choral Concert” was a great time for celebrating the wonderful work of the Wilson choir and bringing people together by allowing anyone to attend the event. I will remember this concert for years to come.