Top 3 moments of Jackson-Reed girls sports in 2022-23

Alice Stillerman, Sports Editor

1. Girls basketball deep run in the DCSAA Tournament

After a disappointing 2021-2022 season for the girls basketball season with a losing record of 10-13, the girls basketball team turned it around. Led by junior Kryslynn Stewart who averaged 13.2 points per game on the season and first year head coach Derek Campbell, the Tigers went 21-9 and made a valiant run in the DCSAA tournament. After receiving a seven seed in the bracket, they faced an uphill battle towards the championship that included matchups against the two seed Friendship Tech Prep and Anacostia. They eventually would fall to Archbishop Carroll in the championship, but the strong playoff run ended the Tigers turnaround season on a high note.

1. Crew winning third place at Stotesbury

At the biggest national high school race in the nation, the Stotesbury Regatta, the girls 1V boat raced their way to third place. Held in Philadelphia on the Schuylkill River, Stotesbury is one of the premier races in the country. After a strong time trial run and a first place finish in their semi-final heat, they followed up their second place finish last year with another top three finish and continued their dominant run as a top-tier team in the nation. In addition to 1V’s triumphant performance, the 2V boat placed second place, topping off a great day for the girls crew team.

1. Girls soccer winning DCIAA Championship

After a 12-3-1 regular season record and a 10-0 victory over Banneker in the first round of the DCIAA soccer playoffs, the Jackson-Reed girls soccer team found themselves facing off against School Without Walls in the DCIAA Championship. The team had faced the Penguins in an early season matchup and came out on top with a 2-1 win with goals coming from sophomore Rowan Mccrary and junior Kinzly Gootman. In the DCIAA Championship, the Tigers kicked off the game with a hot start as junior forward Samantha Gordon scored in the first 15 seconds. Rowan Mccrary and Sage Hudson both added goals later in the match. While Walls was able to net one goal in the second half, the Tigers stayed sharp and captured a 3-1 victory over the rival Penguins. The Tigers’ win marked the 13th season in a row they have claimed the DCIAA Championship.