We stand with our teachers

As of September 30, 2023, members of the Washington Teachers’ Union (WTU) have been working under an expired contract, which enables DCPS to subject them to unreasonable working conditions. Though this isn’t a new issue; public school teachers of all grades throughout the District have immensely overcrowded classes and disparaging pay, and no way to combat it. We, the Beacon, stand with our teachers’ fight for fair rights.

Earlier this month, the WTU were provided unreasonable meeting times by DCPS to speak with Chancellor Lewis Ferebee regarding their contract. This was the second attempt of the WTU to speak with Ferebee and DCPS. Ferebee failed to attend both meetings.

Although to many this may seem irrelevant to the daily lives of students and our school experience, it speaks volumes about the lack of support DCPS has for the people at the forefront of educating our future generations. The absence and lack of attention they are receiving are prime examples of the disrespect and the systemic issue of undervaluing and undermining the dedication of our teachers.

While we, as students, do not create these policies, we do abuse them. DCPS has enacted much more relaxed policies this school year, such as the late work policy, revision days, and test retakes. We are complicit in taking advantage of these policies that provide for leniency and excuses for students, but we fail to recognize that they also make working conditions harder for teachers. 

As the WTU navigates this trying time, we must understand and respect our teachers’ fight for a just agreement.. Updated contract or not, we have the power to strengthen the JR community by recognizing the dedication and sacrifice of our teachers and administrators. There is no Jackson-Reed without teachers. We hear you, we understand you, and we support your fight.

1
View Comments (1)