Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

Intramural basketball league strengthens community bonds

Eli Schwartz
PLAYING UNDER PRESSURE – Senior Jackson Kletter prepares to take a shot at the students versus staff basketball game. The Pig Devils, who won the student intramural tournament, fell short against the staff.

Tensions rise. The crowd stands up. Nervous glances are exchanged in the bleachers until the final whistle blows, students flood the court, and it’s the Pig Devils for the win!

This year, the Jackson-Reed Student Government Association (SGA) put on its intramural basketball league, where students had the opportunity to form teams and compete against each other in 30-minute games during lunch in the gym. 

Shake n Bake, one of the student teams, had beaten the Pig Devils in the first game of the season, but the Pig Devils were back for revenge in the championship game. “It just means everything, the work we put in [paid off],” said senior Scottie Hubbard, coach for the Pig Devils and varsity basketball player. He credits the win to “humility and grace, just keep[ing] the same values all season long.”

Senior Charlie Bertch, a player for the Pig Devils, adds that “the environment made it better with everyone cheering, adding a good way to the end of senior year.”

After piloting an intramural basketball tournament last year, this year, SGA and administration collaborated to make it into a league that would last three months. Additionally, the league was created as a solution to the worry regarding a rise in fights throughout the winter. “There’s been a lot of attendance and a lot of people coming to cheer on the teams,” said SGA’s junior treasurer Ethan Fox-Fernandez. 

With fights going down, the numerous air balls have increased. However, this hasn’t stopped junior Deandre Howard from coming to the games. Howard is a dedicated viewer and coach of team 03F, and he watches the games “every time we have them.” He explains that along with the competitiveness, “the trolling” between players is the main reason he is such a committed watcher. 

Simona Spicciani, the SGA advisor and Italian teacher, enjoys attending the games as she sees “so much joy, support, and energy.” She adds, “I love seeing the smiles, and I love seeing the coaches from the varsity and JV teams.”

One of the improvements made from last year was having the varsity basketball players coach the teams, as they were not allowed to play in the games due to their skill set. Junior Jack Corrigan Conaty, varsity basketball player and coach for Shake n Bake, enjoyed the journey even after falling short in the finals despite an undefeated season. 

Next winter, Corrigan Conaty hopes to have the “same team, same coach, we’re going to run it back and take the chip. Respect to the Pig Devils, but we’re coming back next year.” 

The championship game was a thriller for the crowd, as the two teams were battling neck-to-neck to take the lead after being tied up with two minutes left. However, the Pig Devils soon were able to score a three, leading to the winning score of 39-37. 

Along with hosting a league for the students, SGA showcased a teacher vs. students game where the teachers took home the trophy after playing against the Pig Devils. Varsity basketball head coach David “Tee” Johnson had multiple three’s, contributing to the win of 43-38. 

Throughout the league, fans gathered to fill the bleachers, and PE teacher Desmond Dunham loved being a referee as he was able to interact with more students and be a part of an atmosphere that brought people together. “It just gives us another opportunity to build that community and pride as a school. I think this is a major hit, and you can just see the energy and spirit.”

“It’s really cool to see how it’s uniting Jackson-Reed,” concluded Fox-Fernandez.