DCPS policy intended to promote learning inhibits it.

Daniel Whitley, Contributor

Imagine sitting in class confused about a particular concept or problem. Maybe your teacher is unavailable, or you have a substitute, or maybe you’re doing your own research. Ideally, a quick Google search would provide you with the needed information. Unfortunately, DCPS’s widespread internet restrictions block a number of websites, limiting access to information and prohibiting students from learning. 

I vividly remember the frustration of trying to complete an assignment for history class. We were tasked with filling out a document relating to the Wounded Knee Massacre. The assignment required two outside sources, and it took me 30 minutes to find a source that was somewhat related to the topic. It wasn’t due to speed or a lack of information, but the fact that site after site was blocked, preventing me from completing my assignment. 

Before we criticize DCPS, we should understand the logic behind these restrictions. Their content filtering standard is designed to block inappropriate websites as defined by current District government guidelines. Seemingly, this would promote learning—without access to “inappropriate websites” such as games or other forms of entertainment, students should be more engaged. However, these so-called “inappropriate websites” aren’t just distractions; they also include resources that are actually helpful. 

But why can’t DCPS just block all the bad stuff and keep all the good stuff? The problem comes down to technology. The DCPS filtering system has predetermined websites, words, and phrases that are flagged in the current District Governments Guidelines. Consequently, websites containing these keywords are blocked. 

Obviously, there is a need for some sort of blocking system; some students spend their entire class period playing snake. I’m not advocating for completely discarding the filters, but merely altering them. That way, students can’t view inappropriate websites without jeopardizing access to necessary ones. A potential solution would be creating a system that allows teachers to easily designate whether or not a website is necessary for their class. Teachers would copy the link of a restricted website into a DCPS-created database, giving students access to the website and allowing teachers and students more control over the information they can obtain. 

Students and teachers need to assure DCPS that their system can be improved. Although I recognize that it would be logistically and financially demanding to make accommodations, it’s a necessary investment. After all, facilitating learning should be the top priority of an educational institution. •