Community service: daunting yet instrumental

If you go to Jackson-Reed, you know about the mandatory 100-hour community service requirement that hangs over students’ heads every year. Though the hours have been cut for upperclassmen due to COVID-19, community service can still be overwhelming to many, whether or not requirements were reduced. While this rule may be annoying and seemingly pointless to some, it instills in us the importance and lesson of giving back to people; a value that should not be overlooked in life. 

As a freshman entering JR, 100 hours seemed like a lifetime. Many of us thought it would be impossible to complete these hours, and didn’t even know where to begin. Although the school provided some opportunities to earn hours, it felt like this was a burden left solely on us. 

However, being encouraged to find our own ways to give back to the community can help students build their character and can teach them life skills. Getting a high school diploma is not just about making it through four years of school; it is the stepping stone for us as people to enter adulthood with a community oriented mindset.

Realistically, it may be hard to find a teenager giving back to their community without an incentive. Many underclassmen may dread the work they will have to put in, but community service not only lets you learn more about yourself, it eventually becomes rewarding. 

One of the most daunting parts of these required community service hours is finding out where to do them. While Jackson-Reed already has clubs that offer many opportunities, more ways to achieve these hours should be available to the student body, such as organized service days. Without an easy way to find opportunities, many students find themselves desperately searching for hours in the waning months before graduation.  

As a junior, I still have community service hours I need to complete. When reminded of them, it stresses me out and annoys me to no end. Despite this, community service has helped me recognize the importance of helping others and given me a newfound appreciation for those who dedicate their lives to service.