Important factors to consider when navigating the college process

There are a multitude of factors to consider when applying to college, which is part of why the process is so difficult. Of course, these factors undoubtedly depend on the person and their preferences.

One aspect of college that heavily depends on an applicant’s personality is the social setting and location. School size and location can be unexpectedly influential for many, including myself. Some will want to engage in off campus activities and local culture, whereas others will prioritize studying, jobs, and academics. 

Continuing with the school’s atmosphere, the culture of the school can also be a big determinant. Some schools where sports and school spirit is a large part of the culture prioritize athletes – while others don’t even have a campus or offer sports. 

The most important thing to me was the program, but this also varies based on one’s academic habits in high school. Knowing what you want to get out of college academically can help narrow down the list.

A school’s ranking and acceptance rate are often seen as the most important thing about a college – but they’re not. You shouldn’t apply or go to a school just because it will impress people. On the other hand,don’t be turned away by a school just because of its competitiveness – you never know what a school could be looking for. 

Lastly, cost of attendance; unfortunately,  just applying to college costs money. Even if it’s not the most important thing you’re considering, knowing where you can get credits for certain classes, knowing what places would offer you merit scholarships, and where would even give you a part-time job with the college is helpful. 

All in all, the main thing to consider when applying to colleges is where you think you will thrive, and do best. Good luck to future classes, and don’t stress it!