Online learning may prove beneficial for work ethic

Francesca Purificato, Managing Editor

School on computers? How is that going to work? Your guess is as good as mine. However, it’s clear that there are going to be some good aspects of online learning, and of course some bad ones. That being said, I think this new style of learning is going to affect how a lot of people work. In my case, online learning improves my work ethic, and here’s why.

Virtual school is definitely a more laid-back work environment. If you don’t need constant supervision to motivate you, then you’ll thrive. Some people depend on getting their work done while sitting in a classroom, in that case, you might not flourish as much in an online setting. It’s up to you to decide how you want to allocate your time; and for me, that makes it easier. 

I will admit, it was hard to adjust. When we first went into lockdown, I was so relieved  that we didn’t have to sit in a building for 7 hours a day, and I took full advantage of the free time I had. Usually when I get home from school, I want a break. So normally I just relax for a while (i.e., I procrastinate). Now that I have an ample amount of free time, I no longer feel the need for it during my school day. Because we’re not in class for nearly as long and we get little breaks throughout the day, I don’t feel like I’m overloaded with work when the school day is finally over. Sometimes it is a little bit difficult to find your assignments on Canvas or Teams, and it’s not as convenient to have to email your teacher rather than speak to them in class. You can easily let the new environment stop you from getting things done, and that’s the trap that some students are falling into. 

Although it may be challenging to stay organized with all the new platforms, I believe that if you use your time wisely, you can be much more productive from your home. That way, online learning can affect your work ethic for the better.