Top 7 best horror movies

Courtesy of Kali Kawal

Maren Dunn, Junior Editor

Even though spooky season has passed, there is no reason why horror movies shouldn’t be enjoyed year-round. Every film on this list has two things: bloodcurdling jump scares and an intriguing plot. The following movies are truly the best of the best. 

1. “Insidious”: If you have not watched “Insidious,” what are you even doing with your life? This horror movie follows the story of a young boy who mysteriously falls into a coma. I won’t spoil anything, but the storyline is AMAZING. There is a major cliffhanger at the end that will leave you shook. 
  2. “The Conjuring”: This movie follows a young family from the 1970s who move into a house that is haunted by a malicious spirit. Paranormal investigators and demonologists Lorraine (Vera Farmiga) and Ed (Patrick Wilson) are summoned to help. “The Conjuring” is based on a true story, and that’s almost as frightening as the movie itself. 
  3. “Annabelle”: A man picks out a beautiful doll as a gift for his wife and accidentally unleashes the evil spirit that has been residing inside of her. Annabelle also makes an appearance in “The Conjuring,” making it a must-see if you want any backstory after watching “The Conjuring”.
  4. “It”: Seven kids get attacked by an evil clown. Pretty basic stuff, with some impressive jump scares built in. 
  5. “Get Out”: Chris (Daniel Kaluuya) and his girlfriend, Rose (Allison Williams), are an interracial couple headed to a weekend gateaway with Rose’s white parents, Missy and Dean. Things take a sinister turn as Chris uncovers the truth about what goes on at their house. Directed by Jordan Peele, this thriller is horrifyingly creepy yet thought-provoking. 
  6. “Scream”: This is the movie to watch if you can’t handle actual horror movies. The story follows high school students who are stalked by a knife-wielding killer in a mask. The comedic elements of the film combined with a twist at the end make “Scream” a must-see.
  7. “The Shining”: I didn’t love this movie, but it’s a classic so I had to include it. Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) becomes a winter caretaker at an isolated hotel. He soon realizes that there are demonic spirits present, slowly turning him insane. Prepare for a slow plot buildup but some good jump scares.