Tigers Tell Us What They Learn

Francesca Purificato, Managing Editor

The only way to truly know what’s happening in each grade level at Wilson is to experience it. Thus, one must ask the most reliable sources themselves: the students. What do we learn here at Wilson? That depends who you ask. 

Still somewhat new to Wilson, freshmen are just beginning to experience all that our school has in store for them. 

Freshman Clara Durante says that compared to middle school, classes are going at a faster pace and have a heavier workload. “It’s a good and bad thing,” she said. “The content feels more rushed but I feel like it’s preparing us for the harder years ahead.” On top of the transition between schools, freshmen are also experiencing the 4×4 schedule for the first time which may contribute to the fast-paced feeling.

Durante is currently taking Honors Biology, Geometry, English, health, and Public Speaking. 

Wilson sophomores move on to Chemistry, World History II, and English II as their core classes. “We learn about things like ionic compounds and chemical equations, trigonometry and radical equations,” sophomore Soli Jacobson said. In English, sophomores discuss the memoir “The Other Wes Moore” by native Baltimorean author Wes Moore, and analyze a book of their choosing with their peers. 

As for the notoriously demanding junior year, 11th-grader David O’Toole is taking a rigorous course load. He has classes ranging from AP Biology and Multicultural Literature to Microeconomics and Principles of Business and Finance. When giving his opinion on junior year so far, he said, “classes are definitely more difficult but they’re more productive. You get more of a sense that people want to be there.” 

Junior year also grants access to more niche electives and classes. For O’Toole, that means learning about things like transcription and translation of cells and the intricacies of the effects of price levels on consumption. 

“Microeconomics is detailing more about data and analytics of the economy whereas Finance is teaching you how to grow personal wealth and using the economy to benefit yourself,” O’Toole explained. 

And finally, the long-awaited senior year. With so many expectations to fulfill, it’s important to paint an accurate picture of what’s to come. Senior Kai Leckszas is taking AP Environmental Science, AP English Literature, and US Government. He learns about biodiversity and the impact different species have on humans, breaks down complex readings, and studies the structure of U.S court.

Aside from interesting courses, another perk of being a senior is having free periods. “Classes are pretty easy-going and your schedule can be a lot more flexible and give you time to work on things you want to pursue,” Leckszas said. Senior year can bring a certain sense of freedom at Wilson that others may not have quite yet.

Regardless of what grade you’re in or what classes you’re taking, being back in the building is a reminder of Wilson’s lively classroom environments that may have gone unnoticed before. The courses at Wilson are like a vibrant restaurant menu; every student can select whatever their heart desires.•