Jade and Jahari: senior twin athletes

Addison Childre, Director of New Staff

Twins Jade and Jahari Miller have both committed to further their athletic careers in college, and couldn’t have done it without each other’s support. 

Jade will play lacrosse at Rutgers University, while Jahari will run track at Mount St. Mary’s University.

Jade was introduced to lacrosse through Winners Lacrosse, a non-profit organization, and during middle school she played for the school team at Alice Deal Middle School. She dabbled in basketball her freshman year, before joining the Wilson lacrosse team. She was promoted from JV to varsity lacrosse mid-season, showing the serious effort she put into the sport. When she saw the power her brother had on the track, she began working with the track and field team to get faster on the field. 

Jahari started track in the 8th grade at Deal. Throughout his underclassmen years, he blossomed as an athlete. By 11th and 12th grade, he was getting Division I offers. Playing multiple sports over the years allowed Jahari to have options. He wasn’t sure what he wanted to focus on. From playing on various lacrosse teams, to JV basketball and football, he knew he had strong athletic ability. When Jahari suffered a wrist injury, he could no longer participate in most sports, but with track he was able to return to competing quickly.

Injuries are common for most serious athletes. At the beginning of his junior year, Jahari endured a hamstring injury, but ultimately decided to keep running. When the injury became too bad to ignore, he had to take things slow. He was then taught how to warm up properly, how to not overwork, and that the key to being a competitive athlete is balancing training and rest. Jade now deals with pressure on her lower body resulting in knee pain. She knows it’s a step back, but she does what she can to fight through it.

This year was both twins’ senior season and they have achieved major accomplishments. Jahari has broken school records in the 300m and 500m, he was named an All-Metropolitan honorable mention, qualified for and competed at Indoor Nike Nationals, and recently broke the 100m school record. Jade, the head captain on the girls lacrosse team, views her work improving the team’s comradery as an immense achievement. Seeing the positive girls on her team being motivated and wanting to get better at the sport couldn’t make her happier. Buzzer beater moments are hard to come by, and during one of Jade’s final high school games she captured a win for her team with one. Moments like that, she says, remind her why plays the sport and puts in the hours.

Throughout the years, their mom has fully been there for them every step of the way. She is nothing but supportive and is truthfully honest. She makes sure to tell them what to work on in order to progress. Both siblings acknowledge how extremely grateful they are to have a mom always showing up and know that lots of people don’t have that type of support at home. The support they receive from each other as well is unmatched. They share the same highs and lows of being an athlete, while trusting each other for important advice. 

When deciding where to go to college, their mom was a big factor. They made sure to look at schools that offered them the most opportunities, both academically and athletically, while also choosing the place their mom felt the most comfortable. 

They advise other student athletes who are looking to accomplish similar goals to stay grounded and don’t let anyone categorize you. Jahari was told multiple times he was not a sprinter, but he didn’t listen, put in the work, and broke the 100m school record. He believed in himself when no one else did. Jade possesses a similar mentality, “At your lowest points, and when you are feeling like you are not progressing, just keep going, because those days are where you can hit milestones,” she said.

Jade credits the Jackson-Reed community for helping her develop socially, academically, and athletically. Jahari is thankful for his coach, Nnamdi Baylor, for going above and beyond to support him. Jahari says Baylor made him a better athlete, helping him to turn average times into record-breaking ones. •