This year’s fall fashion trends predictions

Collete Bernards, Contributor

In a time where the trend cycle moves like lightning, what trends are predicted to blow in with the fall wind? 

To start, some articles like Instyle’s “You Probably Already Have Fall 2022’s Top Trends in Your Closet” preach that fall 2022 is all about basics and the simple everyday items you likely invested in long ago but with a dash of spice. For example, trench coats are expected to be in but with a creative spin: designers are using bright colors, big patterns, and faux fur. 

Last year, coquette, a style embodying all things that are feminine and dainty, was favored by consumers and will likely remain. To combat the cold, ballet core will take to the stage; think light pinks and furry hats paired with leg warmers and tie-front cardigans. Thanks to the upcoming Barbie movie, Barbiecore has been gaining popularity. A style inspired by the American icon herself and Y2K it involves bright, saturated pinks and a feminine flair, so on Wednesdays, wear pink. 

Bomber jackets of the 2010s are projected to come back into fashion alongside leather blazers/jackets, variations of the classic LBD (little black dress), and tailored waistcoats or vests. Waistcoats and vests are commonly used for a variety of styles and subgroups like Light or Dark Academia, which takes inspiration from academia and romanticizing school, and the clean girl, a minimalist style that works with neutrals. 

Another classic, jeans, which have always been prominent in the fashion industry, are going to continue to show their worth. Along with loose jeans like wide-leg or flare jeans, junior Lizzie Himmelfarb and sophomore Devan Mehta point out that bell bottoms are/will be popular. This carries over from summer clothing predictions, where magazines painted the 60s and 70s as inspiration. 

Bright knits, fuzzy sweaters, sequins, and bright jewelry are going to add some color to DC’s gray winters. Mehta reasons “there will be chunky or cable-knit sweaters,” similar to those Chris Evans wears in the movie Knives Out. Senior Talia Moraru thinks there will be “a lot of accessorizing with chunky jewelry and layering necklaces.” 

Loafers, Mary Janes, and Doc Martens appear to be the season’s shoes of choice, with platforms of course. Platforms work for every season and are comfortable too; why only stick to wearing flat shoes? 

Trend cycles are moving quickly and this article only touches on the more prevalent predictions and pieces. School is better when you wear what you want, so use this article as inspiration and work with what you have. Hopefully, it’ll give you some pieces to fall in love with this season. •