Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

Academies begin transition to join national organization

Courtesy of NAF

The oldest academy at Jackson-Reed, the Wilson International Studies Program (WISP), and the Academic Athletic Achievement Academy (AAA) have begun the application process to become part of the National Academy Foundation (NAF). Through this process, the academies will apply for Career and Technical Education (CTE) recognition, enabling them to relieve funds from the federal government by 2026. 

Federal funding will be used by the academies for student internships and will pay for work-based learning events, transportation, and marketing. Right now, the academies rely on the PTSO, fundraising and donations to cover some of these costs. 

CTE is a program that receives funds for education and re-grants it to grantees. CTE in turn, pays NAF to provide academy structure. NAF is a national education non-profit dedicated to connecting students with career opportunities through an academy framework, with over 600 academies nationwide. Jackson-Reed must separately apply for eligibility to CTE, prior to submitting an application to join NAF. 

NAF academy director Tammy Lorenzo said, “What we are working on right now, is submitting an application so that status changes, and we turn [the academies] into Career Technical Programs that are funded by the federal government, and we can provide all of the opportunities that all of the other academies offer.” 

Until the academies have CTE funding, Lorenzo emphasizes that there is an effort to match students with other internship opportunities outside of AIP and CRI, which are internship programs partnered with CTE. 

Academy participation also provides an opportunity for work-based learning events which combine learning with real-world applications and hands-on opportunities including events, guest speakers, field trips, and International Night.

“The beautiful thing about the academies is of course the focus on literacy and education and making sure that you are all exposed to the fields that you may be interested in while also creating community,” Lorenzo said. 

However, before the academies can apply for CTE distinction, the academies must first be recognized by The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE).

While the WISP academy’s application, and program of study by OSSE already exists, the AAA academy will still need to apply. Lorenzo explained that OSSE provides a model for the programs. Regarding the WISP academy, Lorenzo said, “[OSSE has] a model for the program, so they have a foreign-services program, and it has a pathway and different classes.”

Current pathways, or different sequences of courses that students can choose to take based on their primary interests at Jackson-Reed already exist for the WISP and AAA academy.

These pathways will be changed proceeding the OSSE’s model adoption. However, Lorenzo emphasized that the pathways that students are currently following as part of that academy will be honored, and students who joined the academy before the beginning of the transition process, will still graduate. Robert Geremia, social studies teacher and 5-year head teacher of the WISP academy emphasized, “This will not affect the class of 2024 or the class of 2025”.