Optional prayer offered for Jackson-Reed staff

Before doors opened for students on the first day, Jackson-Reed’s principal, Sah Brown, offered an optional prayer for staff led by Clarence Alston.

“[I] offered an optional prayer gathering for any [interested] staff members to start the year,” Brown said. 

As a principal at Eastern High School, Brown provided space for prayer at the beginning of the school year and during challenging times for the community.

“There were difficult times during the year. We had both a staff member and students pass away, unfortunately,” Brown said.

While students were involved in the prayers at Eastern, Brown said that students weren’t involved in the prayer at Jackson-Reed.

“[Since] it’s optional, I feel like there isn’t much wrong with it. Prayer is important to [some] communities, so I don’t see an issue with that,” sophomore Frances Leibovich said.

Although the prayer on the first day of school was optional, “a good number of people showed up,” Brown said. “Some staff members have asked [if] this is something that [Jackson-Reed] can do every week.”

Social Studies teacher Eduardo Canedo shared a different perspective.

“As far as I understand, public school administrators are forbidden from endorsing or encouraging religious participation. I don’t question positive intention, but to me the public invitation is a clear violation of the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause,” Canedo said.

The moment of prayer comes after a Supreme Court decision siding in favor of a now-former high school football coach’s right to pray at the 50-yard line after games. While the case concerns student participation in prayer, the prayer at Jackson-Reed was only open to staff. 

But with the Fellowship for Christian Athletes (FCA) club reopening its Jackson-Reed chapter, student involvement with religion at school may change. According to the club’s bio on the school’s website, the objective of the fellowship is “to lead every coach and athlete into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and His church.”

“The goal is to provide a community of like-minded individuals,” said teacher-sponsor and math teacher Grant Franke. “Faith has been important to me but I usually don’t talk about [with] students,” he continued.

Students have been reaching out to Franke with questions about faith, and now, he explains, the FCA can support students in their journey and answer questions.

Although the FCA is open to all, bringing athletes together is a focus, including through opportunity for prayer before athletic games. 

“If [students] want prayer to be a thing before a game, we would make the time and space to support that,” Franke said. Franke added that he wants to make clear that he would “never force [his religion] onto anyone.” •