How my exchange year at Jackson-Reed shaped me as a person

Paulina Bielikova, Contributor

It’s incredible how nine months can change one’s whole perspective about one’s life, future and school. Before coming, I was confident in my English skills, however, reality hit when I got to my first class. I realized that all the English grammar exams I received A’s on before I got here did not prepare me for actually communicating in English. Also, I was incredibly overwhelmed by all the students and the huge building. I was panicking and rethinking my decision to study abroad. 

Now that my time here in the United States is finally coming to an end, all I can think of is how much I don’t want to go back to the education system in my home country, Slovakia. The majority of my friends here are also international students from Europe and we all agree that school here is fun. No that is not a typo, I really mean it and you read that right. 

The amount of support and understanding I have received from teachers is still unbelievable. The first time my English teacher asked my class how we were doing, I just looked at him, shocked. It was the first time in my life that a teacher was interested in me as a person and not just as an object that needs to be educated for 45 minutes. Yes, I admit it’s ridiculous to be amazed by that single question and most people don’t bat an eye at such a thing, but for me it was like entering a whole new world. Just that simple scenario demonstrates how different the education systems are in Slovakia and the United States. 

It was drilled into me for so many years that the only way to have a good life is to get a good job and, in order to do that, you have to be perfect in school. Getting tons of papers full of notes to memorize, doing well on the test every class, writing new notes, studying for a new test, over and over again. During this cycle no one asked me if I could keep up, or if I was tired or overwhelmed. All that was on my mind was to pass and have a future. It got to a point where I was sweating and shaking every time the teacher would say, “put everything away and take out a pen!” The most ridiculous part is that all the information I was drilling into my head literally evaporated the second I finished my test. Everyone would study for a good grade and then turn around and complain about memorizing unnecessary information. Teachers understand our frustration but the system has been in place since they were in school, so what can they do? 

It was just after I enrolled into Jackson-Reed that I realized you don’t have to have perfect grades to be successful; you are allowed to fail because that’s a way of learning from your mistakes. You are not alone through stress and struggling, you can ask for help when you need it and not carry it all on your shoulders. I’ve learned all these lessons thanks to Jackson-Reed teachers and I will be forever grateful for them. From now on, my whole life won’t collapse just because I failed a test, and I won’t be mad at myself for not being smart or independent enough. I will know that being “bad at school” is not the end of the world because not everyone is supposed to be a doctor, lawyer, or engineer. That this world needs as many artists, musicians and builders. I truly wish for every student to realize this as I did. 

Kids here have so many choices of extracurricular activities and they play an integral part of a school spirit. There is no spirit back at home: it’s just six hours of taking notes while listening to the teacher and going home. No cheering at basketball games, free doughnuts during school day, or fancy proms and homecomings. What I noticed is that people here complain a lot about their education system but they don’t understand how lucky they are. In turn, that attitude made me realize that I am exactly the same; complaining about the system in Slovakia while a girl the same age as me in Afghanistan is wishing to have even an encyclopedia. It’s all about perspective. That’s what my exchange year taught me, to spend less time complaining about what I could have and rather be more grateful about what I already have. 

I truly recommend to everyone: study abroad, travel, get to know different cultures, and see how other people live. It will teach you things no school in the world can.