Juniors deserve free periods

Louise Reyes-Gavilan, Contributor

Between AP courses, college preparation, and extracurriculars, junior year is notorious for being especially stressful. Oftentimes, the workload is all-consuming, and balancing different activities can be extremely difficult. 

Currently, Jackson-Reed only offers free periods to seniors, but many juniors believe that we deserve them too. It would provide juniors with the opportunity to catch up on work, study, or just take a break, allowing us to make time for other activities.

Aside from the fact that a free period would help with managing work, I’ve found that some of the classes I am currently taking are simply unnecessary. Like many upperclassmen, I’ve already completed all my required elective courses. A free period would be a more practical use of time than the randomized classes I’m placed in just to fill my schedule. 

Additionally, giving more students a free period would alleviate the chronic overcrowding in our classrooms..

Of course, some students might be opposed to having a free period, which is why it should be optional. That way, administrators can do what is best for each individual student.

Free periods for juniors who have completed their elective credits would lessen the burden of overcrowding, prevent us from being in undesired classes, and help alleviate our busy schedules. •