The face behind the mascot

Edith Corrigan Conaty, Spread Editor

At many Jackson-Reed sports games, one of the first things that students notice is the large orange and white mascot cheering on the team. At first glance, only the fluffy suit may appear, but has the person behind the mask ever been considered?

To solve this mystery, we have to look beyond the two big plastic eyes. Two Jackson-Reed students, who continue to remain a mystery, are the masterminds behind the mascot. In order to talk about their experience, I had to bring them into a dark room to ensure their identity remains unknown. 

One of the students behind the mascot suit revealed that “you have to be hype and make everything fun and make people want to watch the game.” The other student echoes that, adding that competing with the mascot from the other team’s school at halftime is also a key part in the entertainment. 

Aireon Boone is an 11 grade dean and the creator of the Jungle Cats, a group of passionate students focused on supporting all of the Jackson-Reed school and sporting events. He is responsible for ensuring that “the mascot is keeping the culture and climate at the school up and the spirits high.” He added that “when it comes to the mascot, [they must be] someone who is high energy, not shy, and can really get the crowd going.” 

However, one top-secret question always remains: what does it smell like inside? The dimly lit room they answered this question in only made the smell description scarier. 

“It smells like feet in the boys locker room, and some salt and pepper.” Both mascots can agree that it gets very hot, sweaty, and grimy inside. 

At the secret rendezvous, the mascots noted their motivations for donning the suit.

“I do think it was my destiny to be a mascot,” one declared. Another said they “wanted to make people happy and be a good sport.” They wholeheartedly reflected Boone’s values of “people feeling welcomed when they come to our games.” 

Since it’s the start of a new year, Boone is looking for someone to fill the role of the mascot more permanently. They recently had an interest meeting, but those interested can reach out to Boone directly. Go show your Tiger pride!