JROTC commemorates 9/11 attacks

Kelly Cantarero-Flores, Junior Editor

It was 20 years ago on September 11 that 2,977 Americans died in the terror attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. 

Six members of the DCPS community died that day. Their names were Hilda Taylor, Sarah Clark, James Debeuneure, Bernard Brown, Asia Cottom, and Rodney Dickens. The teachers and students were on an educational field trip to California. 

The Wilson JROTC (Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps) program commemorated those who perished on the events of 9/11. Led by Battalion Commander Jonathan Sauls, they were in charge of presenting the flag detail and flying the colors.

From an outside perspective, raising and lowering Wilson’s American flag may seem insignificant, but the action stood to honor those who were affected by 9/11, on behalf of the school community. 

In addition to the flag detail presentation, the Tiger Battalion put up posters throughout the school building with QR codes that led to information websites on the 9/11 events to inform the Wilson community.

The JROTC program also utilized the daily morning announcements to encourage participation in a moment of silence, honoring the fallen heroes of the 9/11 attacks. 

The Wilson JROTC chapter’s thoughtful observance of 9/11 is just one example of their active involvement in the school community. The JROTC program allows students to learn discipline, to make new connections with community members, and have access to potential scholarships and career options after high school (including non-military professions). 

JROTC’s mission is to “motivate young people to become better citizens.” To get involved in the program, visit Sergeant First Class Davis or Lieutenant Colonel O’Connor in room WA100. •