Isolation: how a Wilson student dealt with COVID-19

Ivanna Ramazzini, Spanish Editor

It started with a spell of dizziness during my online ballet class. My teacher kept saying, “point harder, turn faster, pay attention to detail,” but I just couldn’t keep my head straight. I tried to focus my spinning vision but I was hit by a wave of exhaustion and I was pouring sweat, despite usually getting through the class without shedding a drop.

That was the first time I exhibited symptoms after contracting COVID-19 at the start of this year. At first, whether or not I actually had the coronavirus was a mystery. I kept reassuring myself that it was nothing more than the flu, but somehow my body knew that it was different.

Sometimes it was a struggle to breathe through my mouth, food was completely tasteless, and not even the cinnamon candle I lit had a smell. Fatigue filled my body even when I just stood up and walked across the room to get some water. I had many symptoms, but thankfully they were not as severe as other cases. Regardless, the thought of having a piece of the pandemic inside me made me uneasy. 

I watched the clock progress while the fever kept still. Between the hours I would close my eyes to lose time, as for 10 days all I could was stay in bed. I spent 15 days with less severe symptoms and I was absent from online school for five days and. My mother got sick after me, so we were able to take care of each other. That was a blessing in disguise.

Throughout this process my teachers were supportive. They made it clear that they were there to offer support and advice. One group I did not expect to offer support was DC Health. I received a call every day my mother and I were sent food in case we ran out during self-isolation. 

COVID was both a physical and mental challenge. During my time of self-isolation I realized how critical social interaction is. I could count on one hand who I talked to during that month: my mother and my friend. Talking to the DC Health officers provided another outlet of social interaction. 

Typically it takes 15 days on average to recover from this disease. My family took exactly 30 days to recover, but having COVID gave me a new perspective—one that made me in part more solitary, but also more proactive. 

It allowed me to become closer with my mother, it gave me time to create plans for my goals and reflect on the fact that I want to be close to my family again. I have spent the majority of 2021 inside four walls, but I’ve changed more now than in the past year simply because of the time to think. 

Once I finally received a negative test, I realized how much of a luxury it is to be able to walk outside and feel the breeze brushing against your skin. 

Some people go through this virus with not too many inconveniences but not everyone is so lucky. All I can say is take care of yourself and stay safe.