I’m going back

Emma Ludgin

Even amidst a global pandemic, I have decided to attend Wilson in person. Why, you ask? I am a freshman, and despite being halfway through my first year of high school, I have absolutely no idea what 9th grade, or Wilson in general, is like. 

I don’t know what it’s like to go to a football game, homecoming, join a club, or watch a musical produced by my fellow classmates. I understand that once I do go back, I won’t be able to do all of those things –– but at least I’ll physically be in the school building, which is a good first step. All in all, I’m going back to school to at least feel like a real high schooler, even if that feeling is for half a school day once a week.

Wilson’s in-person school plan goes as follows: students can be invited by their teacher to either their first and/or third period in person. This period will only be in person once a week with class sizes at most 11 students per classroom; and obviously masks are mandatory. I, personally, feel safe with this policy, as it has been approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Protection (CDC). I highly doubt I will contract COVID with this plan. 

During September through November, the CDC conducted a study consisting of 397 students who attended face-to-face learning in Mississippi. The study concluded that those who tested positive did not take the same precautions as those who tested negative. The positive-testing students had attended gatherings such as funerals, weddings, and play dates. However, those adolescents who tested negative had not attended gatherings in addition to school. As long as I stay isolated and thoughtful, I will be secure.

Therefore,  I will also take furthered precautions of my own, to ensure that I am being as considerate as possible. I will stop going to grocery stores, shops, and other public places. Additionally, I will limit my visits with friends and family and see them only outside, mask on, six feet apart. In taking these safety measures, I will ensure my welfare and consideration of others.

I will be attending the beneficial in-person school to meet new people, have connections with teachers, get out of my house, and most importantly, feel like a real high schooler.