College commitments: A Beacon Throwback

Dani Wallace, Features Editor

The Beacon was established by students of then Woodrow Wilson High School in 1935, headlining news and gossip relating to the school community. 87 years later, the past papers serve as a time-machine, allowing current students of Jackson-Reed to immerse themselves in shared experiences with previous students of the school.

For this edition of Beacon throwbacks, we’re going all the way back to December 1962, the 28th volume of The Beacon. It’s clear that being a Tiger wasn’t that much different than it is today. Even then, preliminary applications to colleges were still a hot topic for students looking to continue their education.

COLLEGES RESPOND FAVORABLY TO 11 SENIORS, INCLUDING EIGHT UNDER EARLY DECISION PLAN

Colleges have given early favorable replies to 11 seniors, including eight under the early decision plan.

The eight students whose “fears and worries” are over are Cecily Aldridge, accepted by Mount Holyoke; Marylyn Bedell, Emory and Henry; Brenda Burton, Sarah Lawrence; Donald Hartman, Purdue; Harry Jaffe, Dartmouth; Ellen Kovner, Vassar; Lesslie Lincoln, Smith; and Ronald Oser, Franklin and Marshall.

“I can obtain skiing facilities as well as the atmosphere of a small girls’ school at Holyoke,” declared Cecily, who may major in Latin.

Marylyn, a potential education major, revealed that her parents urged her to apply to Emory and Henry.

“I was impressed with the small number of students in each class,” said Brenda, who will major in some phase of liberal arts at Sarah Lawrence.

The choice of Purdue was easy for Donald. The university is particularly strong in his projected major, electrical engineering.

Hoping to begin his medical career at Dartmouth, Harry plans to “utilize the fine pre-medical facilities of the college.”

The location of Vassar, close to New York City but not in it, and its fine reputation influenced by Ellen, possibly a history major.

“No better one for me,” declared Leslie, interested in political science, who was impressed with Smith’s drive and enthusiasm.

Ronald chose Franklin and Marshall because it offered him a good pre-medical background and exceptional fraternity life.

Already favorably notified, but not committed, are Anze Derzavis to Miami of Florida; Deborah Lamke, Ohio Wesleyan; and Brian Turner, Michigan State. Brian will attend Michigan State if he qualifies for an honor scholarship in a test to be given at Lansing, Michigan, in February.

As college applications opened November 1, the anxiety in waiting for answers came with it. As students receive early decisions from colleges of their dreams, the class of 2023 could soon find themselves deciding on the next step in their life, post-high school; the same as these graduates did in 1962. You too will find your way in college and thereafter, tiger pride and all! •

https://wilsonhs.org/ourpages/auto/2015/6/15/38338040/1962-63.pdf?rnd=1434403958004