Celebrating Tenleytown’s Metro art

After over two years, the escalator replacement in the Tenleytown-AU station is finally finished, having received a new shiny coat just in time for the holidays.

During the extended period of replacement and repair, the Washington Area Metropolitan Transit Authority (WMATA) decided to install artwork by Tamao Nakayama, a minimalist abstract artist based in DC, for a temporary public art installation at the closed east side of Wisconsin Avenue, north of Albemarle Street station entrance. Her work was printed on Coroplast panels that were affixed to the wooden barricades surrounding the construction area. 

Nakayama’s artwork was called Community in Motion, celebrating the healthy and active community that has grown up in and around Tenleytown. Thin lines and bold changes in color put people in motion. Parents pushing baby strollers, teens showing off impressive skateboarding skills, adults riding on scooters, and couples holding hands while walking together are depicted in the piece. These everyday scenes make the area feel much more relatable to our daily activities by representing a vibrant neighborhood that is made for and supported by people of all ages and cultures. 

This project fell under a program created by WMATA called Art in Transit (AIT). The agency collaborates with local visual and performing artists, as well as other arts professionals including architects, engineers, community organizations, and jurisdictional arts councils.

AIT is an ongoing project that aims to bring culture and art to the daily commutes of Metro users in DC. The project involves the installation of dynamic and enthusiastic artworks in nearly twenty stations throughout the city. These pieces provide a much-needed respite from the hustle and bustle of daily life, allowing commuters to appreciate and enjoy art during their travels.

In addition to stations, AIT also extended to various buildings throughout the city, including bus garages and the Metro headquarters. The artworks are carefully curated to reflect the diverse cultural heritage of the city and remain a testament to the power of art to bring people together. 

In celebration of Earth Day earlier this year, AIT collaborated with K-6 students from the DMV area to develop original designs that would represent the protection of the environment, the fight against climate change, and the promotion of sustainable communities. The installation was aimed at raising awareness about the importance of preserving our planet and the role that public transportation can play in achieving that goal. The young artists’ designs were used to wrap three buses, creating a rolling canvas of original artwork that captured the essence of their interpretation of the role of public transportation in environmental conservation. The initiative not only showcased the creativity and talent of budding artists, but also highlighted the crucial role that public transportation can play in promoting a cleaner, greener, and more sustainable future for all.

With the holiday season approaching, students were delighted to see a train decorated with grand Christmas ornaments running through the Tenleytown-AU station. The train was inspired by gingerbread and was an effort to create a festive environment for the people commuting through the Capital. The art project not only beautified the Metro but also added a touch of charm and joy to the daily lives of commuters. It’s fascinating to see how art can touch people’s hearts and make their day a little brighter. One can only wonder what artistic creations WMATA has in store for the future.