There are 2,048 of them, but which 2048 game is the best?

Something has been plaguing the computers of Jackson-Reed scholars. Not even blocked sites can stop us. It’s 2048. 

Created by 19-year-old Gabriele Cirulli in 2014, 2048 involves merging two tiles with the same numerical value to create a new tile that is double the original value. The game begins with tiles with a value of two or four. These tiles continue to be merged until you reach the value 2048, at which point you win the game. The game started with simple numbers representing each tile, but other versions have been created where an image (or even GIF) represents each numerical value. 

I know what you’re thinking. It’s a scary world out there with so many 2048 versions to choose from! Although I would never encourage such outrageous off-task behavior, if given a moment of free time (outside of class of course), here is a comprehensive guide of which 2048 to play. 

1. Cupcake 2048

My true pride and joy. There are few things in life that can beat getting to the white chocolate peppermint cupcake (equivalent of 2048) or the 2017 confetti vanilla cupcake (equivalent of 4096). Cupcake 2048 even inspired me to take a costly, but delicious, trip to Georgetown cupcakes (which the 2048 cupcakes are based on).

1. Rainbow 2048

Although lesser known, Rainbow 2048 provides a relaxing break from the strenuous and competitive 2048 world. I could add the colorful tiles together for an indefinite amount of time (much to my teachers dismay). 

1. Classic 2048

You can’t go wrong with the Classic Number 2048. The dull color scheme is great for our friends who are still working on multiplying by two. 

1. Doge 2048

Last and certainly least is doge 2048. To be fair, I have not spent a large amount of time on Doge 2048 but the brightly colored doge GIFs are simply too much for my delicate eyes. Maybe I would appreciate this version more if I understood what a doge was.

If these versions don’t sound appealing, consider making your own custom 2048, where you can choose pictures for each tile up to 2048 (this also makes a great birthday gift for your 2048 obsessed friends!). Play on (but never, ever in class)!