District Patchwork: Adams Morgan

Buzzing with music venues, electric restaurants, and colorful row houses, Adam’s Morgan takes the stage as the debut neighborhood in the dispatch series. 

Welcome readers to District Patchwork, the monthly report spotlighting a different patch of our beloved District!

Adam’s Morgan, centered on the intersection of 18th Street and Columbia Road, was developed in the late 19th century as part of Lenier Heights, a fashionable and ever-evolving middle-class neighborhood. After years of redlining and segregation, the area united two segregated public schools, Thomas P. Morgan and John Quincy Adams Elementary, to create the conjoined name and neighborhood, Adams Morgan.

From only having 8 restaurants in the area in 1975 to over 100 today, the area has experienced massive progress both commercially and socially.

An array of independent stores and family restaurants are encapsulated within the lively urban neighborhood. Specializing in everything from burgers to rice bowls, the restaurants in Adams Morgan are particularly appetizing. The LINE DC, a hotel housed in a 110-year-old church, offers brunch to a quick café snack, consistently satisfying palates. Other morning hotspots include Tryst Café, D Light and Café Bakery, and the classic brunch burger spot Roofers Union. Night-time hotspots include sushi at Perry’s, Middle Eastern cuisine at Mama Ayeshas, barbeque at Federalist Pig, and so much more. 

On top of the assortment of food locations, the area is bustling with entertainment and independent shops. Need a funky party outfit? Visit the vintage store, Mercedes Bien Vintage, one of DC’s longest thrift spots in Adams Morgan. The area also hosts evening comedy shows at Comedy Club DC, and art galleries at DC Arts Center. 

In terms of the neighborhood itself, the area has accessibility to public transit, and a variety of public schools including Cooke Elementary, Oyster Adams School, and Marie Adams Elementary. Embellished with eye-catching architecture, the community is colored with tall townhouses, attractive rowhouses, historic apartment buildings, and newer loft apartments.

The charming and mellow place promises an unforgettable experience with its eclectic shops, lively cafes, and inviting green spaces. Adams Morgan stands as a beacon of urban living, a definite patch of DC to check out!