Sip or Skip: reviewing Starbucks fall drinks

Lolera Tesema

With the arrival of fall comes changing leaves, cozy sweaters, and of course, Starbucks’ fall drinks! For the first month of this season, we went on a caffeine-fueled journey to uncover the hype surrounding these seasonal drinks,and which ones are actually worth your money.

Pumpkin Spice Latte – 8.5/10

First up, the Pumpkin Spice Latte, or the PSL. We’re giving this classic a respectable 8.5/10 – it’s predictable but still manages to surprise you with a comforting feeling. Don’t get us wrong, it’s amazing, but it’s kind of basic. Safe to say, the drink is great, but it’s been years–it’s time to explore new horizons. 

Apple Crisp Frappuccino – 3/10

Now for the Apple Crisp Frappuccino. It literally tastes like you’re drinking the Quaker’s Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal through a straw. It is way too much apple, and not in a good way. Also, why is it a frap? Starbucks, let’s stick to what you do best: caffeinated concoctions that make sense. If it’s gonna be called crisp, then make it crisp. 

Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew – 1/10

The Pumpkin Cold Brew was definitely the most disappointing. It felt like the cold brew was going through an identity crisis. How are you going to add “Pumpkin Cream” in the name when it tastes like pure black coffee? Let’s be real, it’s not pumpkin flavored, it’s just coffee with commitment issues. 

Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino – 4/10

We adore the PSL, but it’s time to let it ride off into the sunset. It’s fun Starbucks, but let’s bring in some fresh ideas. Making this flavor concoction into a frap didn’t do anything but make the drink worse. If you have a sweet tooth, then this fall drink is the one for you – although it quite literally tasted nothing like pumpkin but rather the soil it grew from. 

Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte  – 9.5/10 

Now, saving the best for last, the Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte. The drink itself was just a simple chai, but the pumpkin foam at the top was undoubtedly the best part – it just added another layer of perfection. It may not scream “fall” from the mountains, but rest assured it did save Starbuck’s autumnal reputation.

Overall, Starbucks really needs a “refresher” on what seasonal drinks should actually be: Good. Nevertheless, we hope this saves your money & helps narrow down your choices when it comes to deciding which drinks to get this season. Happy sipping!