Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

Jackson-Reed Athletics Instagram becomes @jacksonreedboosters

Eli Schwartz
POM POMS UP – Jackson-Reed’s cheer team brings spirit to the field. Off the field, JR supporters can now follow two different instagrams: @jacksonreedathletics and @jacksonreedboosters.

Within the halls of Jackson-Reed, you can hear the whispers of students asking each other: who runs the JR Booster Instagram? 

What used to be @jacksonreedathletics, an instagram account where you could find all the information you need about school (plus some random sports related Instagram reels) now has a new identity: @jacksonreedboosters. 

The secret is out- this page has been run by none other than the former Treasurer and current Social Media Coordinator of the Jackson-Reed boosters, Tamika Hayes, mother of alum Jade, Jahari, and Elijah Miller. As a proud Tiger mom, Hayes took on this role in 2019 to share a wide scope of information; from sharing news about school clubs and programs to, “[making] sure all teams are highlighted, help spread fundraiser information, and highlight all Jackson-Reed athletics communication.” 

Hayes was very successful with her takeover, and successfully runs a page that receives anywhere between 5,000 to 18,000 views each month!

Though Hayes’ esteemed account has switched usernames, the tag @jacksonreedatheltics is not gone yet. It is now the newest page for all things Jackson-Reed sports related. 

Athletic Coordinator Thelma Ortega, was given the responsibility to find out who ran the old page in order to get the tag and create a new account with a sole focus on school athletics. 

Ortega was able to get in contact with Hayes and the two came to the agreement that the page run by Hayes would change its user to @jacksonreedboosters and Ortega would take the tag @jacksonreedathletics for the new account. 

Oretega’s biggest goal for the new page is to revamp it, “I want the athletic teams to be represented. I want more livestreams, more up to date posts, and I’m trying to stay on top of it. I almost want it to look like a college athletics page in order to account for how big the school is.”