Volleyball captures DCSAA title over GDS

Sophia Hosford, Sports Editor

Wilson volleyball finished its dominant season with an enthralling victory over the Georgetown Day School (GDS) Hoppers in the state championship match on November 12. 

After 22 years as head coach, Perette Arrington led the Tigers to their first DCSAA title.

Coming off of a 21-3 season ranked #1 in the city, the Hoppers came to Sidwell expecting a victory—but the Tigers, 23-1, #2 were keen on stopping the hop. 

According to a GDS student, Hopper fans were told to dress in all black, anticipating “funeral proceedings” for Wilson.But after an intense five-set match, GDS fans were the only ones mourning after Wilson claimed victory.

Hundreds of students from Wilson and GDS alike filled the stands of Sidwell’s athletic center. Tiger fans lined the railings and shook the bleachers in support of the volleyball team, who played a dominant first set (26-24).

Given the hundreds of fans draped around the bleachers, Sidwell security began to deny entry due to capacity limits. Fans took to sitting on the stairwells in the bleachers to get a better view of the match. 

After lots of back and forth action, Wilson came away with the second set (29-27)—but the Hoppers did not give in. Conscious of the must-win scenario they were in, GDS dominated the third set, (25-18). GDS began to pull ahead in the fourth set as the match hit the two-hour mark, ultimately winning the set (25-17).

As the rivals were tied at two sets a piece, the intensity both on and off the court heightened. The Tigers and Hoppers headed into the fifth and final set, both eager to earn their first state title. 

After nearly three hours of nail-biting action, Wilson clinched the fifth and deciding set (15-9), earning its first DCSAA title in program history. 

“It feels really good; we all wanted it so badly and we got it after so many years of trying to get to states, it feels great to be recognized,” Wilson libero Kate Bukowski said. •