Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

Tigers take on spring sports season

Coming out of a long hibernation, JR’s spring athletes are ready to hit the ground running. From new sports such as the rugby club, to the 29 years in a row DCIAA champions baseball team, there is a lot to look forward to. 

All of JR’s spring sports are coming off a tough and rigorous preseason, making JR’s teams extra prepared for the season ahead. Varsity lacrosse player Celia Joldersma recounted these near-death workouts saying, “we did four tiger runs, they were not for the weak.” Boys lacrosse player Eddie Pange summed it up with, “it [pre-season] was fire.” Joldersma shared her expectation for the team to make it to a second consecutive DCSAA tournament.

With the baseball team having returned from an eye-opening trip to the Dominican Republic, they are prepared to put the work in and come home with a state championship after a disappointing loss to St. Albans last year. Softball, fielding both a varsity and JV team this year, has focused on rebuilding, with many strong underclassmen players. “Being able to rebuild with a fresh new class of people and a lot of new talent on the team is going to be really good for our new season,” captain Lia Pollock said.

Sticking to the intense work ethic that the crew team is known for, they have put in the work indoors this past winter, and are preparing for their spring races. Coach Chris Rickard says his main focus is “being united as a team and helping each other achieve success.” After the girls finished a week of “try-ins” the frisbee team is eager to achieve success in big tournaments, even traveling to one in Nashville.

The tennis team is also ready for revenge. “We’re coming for walls,” tennis player Roger Beckel said. The track team hosted tryouts on March 12, and are setting the tone for an intense season. They will be coming off an indoor track season that ended with several JR athletes qualifying for nationals and setting new PRs.

As the UV rises, so should your school spirit. Make sure to go out and support your fellow JR student-athletes as they take on the upcoming spring season and bring home success!