Senior Sam Alswang to be a CCSU Blue Devil

Chiara Purificato, Sports Editor

Senior Sam Alswang will take his talent from Fort Reno up North to the Balf Savin baseball field, home to Central Connecticut State University Blue Devils. Alswang committed to pitch for the Division I program on October 8th, 2020, where he will join other Seniors for the class of 2025.

Alswang has played club baseball for seven years, and has had varsity experience on the Wilson team for three years of high school thus far. This year, however, he started playing for a new club team, Gatorball, with many of his Wilson teammates. 

By the time sophomore year rolled around, Alswang had officially decided that he wanted to play college baseball. Unsure of where to begin with this process, Wilson baseball coach, Jimmy Silk, guided him through it. Alswang explained, “He was always there for me with reaching out to coaches as a character reference or talking me through my next steps!”

Without a spring season in his Junior year because of Covid-19, Alswang faced unprecedented obstacles in the world of baseball recruiting. Unfortunately, he was unable to “go tour schools or meet the coaches” so this meant that “schools that otherwise might’ve offered [him a spot] ended up not because they couldn’t meet [him].” 

When the clock to find a D1 program began running out this past July, Alswang took the initiative to personalize emails to 25 different schools. Central Connecticut State responded immediately, and Alswang knew it would be a perfect fit for him. Alswang recognized the school is in a nice region of the country, “pitchers can go in and really play competitive games there which is pretty rare at the D1 level,” and they have an impressive track record, making the NCAA tournament two out of the three past years. Alswang plans to major in something along the lines of Athletic Training, which is offered by CSU.

Eager to be with “kids who are pushing every day to get as close to a national championship as [they] can,” Alswang points out “the sky is the limit!” His success as a Wilson Tiger will lead him on to his next chapter of collegiate baseball as a Blue Devil.