Mitchell twins complete transfer from Maryland, commit to Rhode Island

Courtesy of the Baltimore Sun

Alex Cirino, Sports Editor

Just over three months after 6’10 twins Makhi and Makhel Mitchell left Maryland’s basketball program, the dynamic duo has finally found a new home. The former Wilson standouts announced their commitment to the University of Rhode Island on Monday, March 30. 

“Big decision and it’s been made,” Makhi said through an Instagram post. “100% committed.” The twins officially entered the NCAA portal and announced their departure from the Terps program on December 27 after a mutual decision with Head Coach Mark Turgeon and their mother Maria Mitchell. The twins hadn’t played more than 10 minutes in any game they had featured in and their mother had speculated that Turgeon was only interested in one of the twins. However with the twins’ names off of the roster, that only hurt the depth that had left Maryland ranked sixth and comfortably winning games through December.

Rhode Island’s basketball team finished 13-5 this past season, however, they’ll be losing two of their top point scorers opening up roster space for the Mitchell twins which will most likely lead to more playing time–one of the main factors that drove them out of Maryland. 

Being from the DC area was definitely another key factor that could have solidified their decision to commit to the Rams. The team’s Head Coach, David Cox, is from DC and sets out a lot of his recruitment around the DMV. 

This will now be the fifth collegiate or high school team the Mitchell twins would have been a part of in the last six years. They’ve made it very clear they will stick together no matter the circumstances. The twins will look to make their mark in the size dominated Atlantic 10 league this coming winter season.