Spring sports postponed due to COVID-19

Margaret Heffernan, Visual Content Editor

Wilson spring sports are temporarily suspended due to the DCPS closure of schools because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Chancellor Lewis Ferebee notified all DCPS staff and families on Friday March 13 that schools would be closed for two weeks starting Monday March 16 and reopening on Wednesday April 1st. With this notice came the announcement that all “school-sponsored activities such as athletics, extracurriculars, field trips, events, or afterschool programs” will be suspended. This applies to over a dozen teams at Wilson, meaning no teams are allowed to practice, compete, or use the Wilson Athletics facilities over the next two weeks. 

Also, all DCPS-sponsored international and out-of-state travel between now [March 4th] and May 1, 2020 are canceled, meaning that Wilson sports teams would not be allowed to travel and compete outside of the District. For many teams this meant canceling games scheduled against schools outside of the District.

Earlier in the week on March 11 the Wilson Tiger Athletics program canceled its Wilson Sports and Robotics Expo for Middle School Families. This was a new event this year directed towards middle-school athletes hoping to attend Wilson in the coming years. 

Wilson Tiger Athletics planned the event with the goal of letting students from Wilson’s feeder middle schools – Alice Deal, Oyster-Adams, and Hardy – explore Wilson’s diverse array of sports teams. Students would have been able to “meet coaches, [meet] players, take photos, and just get an introduction [to Wilson sports]” Gore said.

Wilson Tiger Athletics is hoping to reschedule the Middle School Athletics and Robotics Expo for later in the spring if students return to school.