Athlete of the Month: Darren Buchanan Jr.

Alex Cirino, Sports Editor

It’s not every day you see a sophomore dominating the District’s basketball scene with consistent slam-dunk games while averaging 19 points per game. Highlighted by his 6’6” frame, Darren Buchanan Jr., now in his second season on the basketball team, is the main leader on an underclassman-heavy roster and has been recognized by the sports network Overtime for his noteworthy highlights.

Buchanan entered this season having played a substantial number of minutes during his freshman season: a season that saw the team capture the DCIAA title and finish runner-up in the DCSAA State final. His standout impact on the court has him leading the team in many statistics, including minutes per game, defensive rebounds per game, and points per game.

Having played with many Division 1 caliber players, Buchanan credits them for developing him into a more disciplined player. “Playing with big-time players helped me a lot,” Buchanan said. “I’ve gained so much knowledge off of it which is crazy because I have more learning and growing to do.” 

Head Coach Angelo Hernandez has also been a major influence on Buchanan’s development. “Coach H[ernandez] saw my potential at a young age and compared me to Ricky Lindo,” Buchanan added. Aside from high school ball, Buchanan plays club basketball for Team Durant in the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) league, which Hernandez also coaches. 

With only three other returning varsity players from last season, the team entered the season as underdogs but has maintained an impressive 18-3 record and are currently ranked third in DC. Buchanan has noticed a positive team camaraderie that he believes has translated into the team’s success on the court. “We all really love one another and want to see the next man do just as good as everyone else,” said Buchanan. 

“I hope to achieve a lot of things in my next two years at Wilson but most importantly I just want to keep the winning tradition alive and bring in more championships for the school community,” Buchanan added. Buchanan hopes to lead the team to its fourth-ever DCIAA championship and build off of last season’s championship run. With the postseason right around the corner, Buchanan looks to make an impact with high hopes to play at the next level.