Wilson crushes Eastern 26-6

Kennedy Whitby, Junior Editor

The Wilson football team defeated Eastern High School on October 4 by a score of 26-6. After a rough start to the season, the Wilson Football team entered the game coming off of a strong 29-0 win against Bell in our homecoming game. However, they knew that Eastern would be a strong challenge and as they looked to remain undefeated in league play. 

The majority of the first quarter was scoreless until the last two minutes. Senior Masiah Thorne caught an interception, giving fans a thrill. The next snap was a quarterback sneak run by junior AJ Turner, giving the Tigers a first down. At this point, Wilson fans and cheerleaders were riled up with the excitement of two great plays. The game remained scoreless heading into the second quarter. 

Halfway through the second quarter, senior quarterback Benton O’Neil rushed for a one-yard touchdown, finally putting the Tigers on the board with a 6-0 lead. As time wound down into halftime, Wilson’s drive continued. With under nine minutes left in the half, senior Fela Pyne recovered an Eastern fumble at the Wilson 30 yard line and took it home for a touchdown. The Tigers headed into halftime leading 12-0.

During halftime, senior Rashard Biggs told himself and the team that their performance needed to improve if they wanted to win the game. “This ain’t enough. We need to step this up ASAP.”

However, it was Eastern who stepped up their game as they began knocking on the door seeking a comeback. Six minutes later, they broke through scoring a touchdown, narrowing the score to 12-6. 

On Eastern’s next possession, the Tiger defense forced them to a fourth down. As they snapped the ball junior defensive end Sean Mcfeild emerged with a crucial sack, causing a turnover on downs and the Tigers were on the ball. On the next two possessions, Wilson continued to keep their feet on the gas, adding on two more touchdowns by Biggs and senior Chad Rockingham. 

Wilson won in dramatic fashion, with a final score of 26-6. Make sure to come out and support the football team at their next home game as they face H.D Woodson on October 19.