Athlete of the Month: Julia Arnsberger

Noah Gross, Sports Editor

With a 5-6 record and a 2-1 win in an overtime thriller against School Without Walls, the Wilson field hockey team had its best season in recent memory. Co-captain and starting forward senior Julia Arnsberger had a phenomenal year and an illustrious field hockey career that is certainly worth recognizing.

Arnsberger started playing field hockey in sixth grade as part of Southeast Storm, a local club team. As she developed into a star for Wilson, Arnsberger simultaneously competed with Southeast Storm in prestigious events like the National Indoor Field Hockey Tournament. “As I developed, the coaches taught me how to improve as an individual and gave me the opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the country,” Arnsberger said.

While in middle school, Arnsberger garnered attention from the Wilson field hockey coach due to her stellar play at Wilson training camps. Arnsberger added, “I was in contact with the coach before I even started at Wilson.”

As a freshman, Arnsberger was a starting forward and led the varsity team in goals. At the end of the fall 2015 season, she was named field hockey rookie of the year. Over the next two years, she continued to lead the team in goals and was awarded the most valuable player in 2016 and 2017. In her junior year, Arnsberger demonstrated her dominance by scoring three goals in a 4-0 win against Walls.

What makes Arnsberger so good? “She’s really good at communicating with everyone on the field, letting them know where she is at all times,” senior co-captain Sophie McInerney said. “[Arnsberger] is also able to dribble around everyone and set our team up for goals.” Arnsberger added, “Most girls can’t dribble past people, but I have that ability.”

In addition to her excellent play, McInerney mentioned that Arnsberger is a key reason that the team’s bond is so strong. ”She is really good at connecting people and making sure everyone is included on the team.”

Colleges have begun to notice Arnsberger’s play. She has interests from multiple Division III schools including Oberlin College, Swarthmore College, and Johns Hopkins University.

With 28 goals, including 11 of the team’s 13 goals this year, Arnsberger will end her season and career as the all-time leading scorer for Wilson field hockey.