Rory Hagerty commits to Navy

Oliver Walke, Sports Reporter

Rory Hagerty, senior captain of Wilson’s boys crew team, has committed to continue rowing at the United States Naval Academy.

“I decided that Navy was right for me after my official visit in early September. I had been speaking to the coach since the winter of my sophomore year,” Hagerty said.

Hagerty knew Navy was likely to become his home after his time at Wilson due to his family’s military history.

“My mother originally introduced me to the Naval Academy as a college choice because her father, who was killed when my mother was two years old during Vietnam, went to the Naval Academy. My father attended West Point and served in the army, so he encouraged a military path for me, even though it is Navy, not Army.”

Beyond his military connection, Hagerty loves what the Naval Academy has to offer.

“Navy is right for me because it is a place where you can thrive not just based on intellect, but also with other factors like hard work and dedication, and I think that is a good environment for me. Navy also provides a very strict schedule and I believe the structure of the school will help keep me in order. I am very excited to experience life at the Naval Academy.”

Wilson has been a key part of Hagerty’s path, he says, crediting the rowing program and courses like calculus for helping teach him his work ethic. Hagerty may already know his future, but he is hopeful for a strong senior season. The boys varsity team has a strong upperclassmen core and they are looking to compete at the national level this year. Having a presence like Hagerty leading the way should help the Wilson boys to one of their most successful seasons yet.