New sports infiltrate Wilson

Badminton by Sam Alswang

As the football, soccer, and field hockey seasons are in full swing, it is important to remember that there is also always the option of joining Wilson High School’s badminton club. The club was started this year and is hoping to gain varsity sport status. But don’t take this to mean the team is hard to make, the club is open to anyone who is interested in the sport regardless of experience. “We were founded in order to be inclusive,” said club founder and junior Maddy Kessler. If you want to get yourself hyped up about the sport, a simple Google search will open your eyes to many incredible rallies. A visit to Physical Education teacher Desmond Dunham’s gym class during the badminton unit will yield similar results. The club gathers in the auxiliary gym on Thursdays at STEP.

E-Sports by Eliana Rosenthal

Competitive video games are coming to Wilson next month when a group of passionate senior gamers will officially launch the E-sports club. The members will be divided into teams of about 10, based on which video game members play, and will compete in tournaments against other teams from all across the East Coast.
Club leader and senior Carlos Hererra explained, “E-sports are just like any other kinds of sports, just without the physical activity,” and looks forward to joining a league.

Coming in October, the club will be led by social studies teacher Jennifer Brown and assisted by science teacher Daniel Barringer and the club is open to everyone. Students will be able to come and join a team for any video game available. “This club will be a great way for gamers to network with others who have similar interests,” said senior Vaidas Valys.

Ping Pong by Evan Vieth

Math teacher Qi Guo is sponsoring the newly founded ping pong club, based around the popular Olympic game. The sport consists of a team of one or two players on each side of a rectangular table. Guo described the new club as “a club where students play ping pong games against each other, singles, doubles or teams.” Games will follow the Olympic rules of table tennis. The Ping Pong Club gives students who want a sporting experience but haven’t played many competitive sports a good environment to have fun and play games. The club meets every Tuesday from 3:30 to 4:30 in the cafeteria. The club is great for meeting and making new friends, releasing stress from your classes, and even improving hand-eye coordination and concentration. Stop by rooms 408 and 409 if you’re interested!