Pass or Plate: Thanksgiving food reviews

Jax Downey

I’m sure the word “fall” makes millions yearn for a Pumpkin Spice Latte. However, the best part of this season by far is Thanksgiving. The holiday brings a five-day weekend, parades, and visits from loved ones, but it most importantly brings good food. (And I guess also giving thanks to your family.) But since we all know that the whole ordeal is really just about food, here is my official review of everyone’s favorite Thanksgiving foods:

1. Turkey – It goes without being said that the turkey can make or break a Thanksgiving meal. It’s what makes vegetarians wish that they could turn back time and eat meat until they die. The truth is, there is no Thanksgiving dinner without the classic turkey dish. 8.5/10.
  2. Stuffing – You would think the idea of just stuffing (get it?) a random bunch of crap into a dish and serving it up sounds gross. So why on earth does it taste so good? Stuffing is such an elite dish, and the fact that people only eat it one time a year is a crime. 8/10
  3. Mashed Potatoes – Guys, I’m just gonna say it: I am a mashed potato hater. Between the color and the consistency, it has always seemed very off-putting to me. Voluntarily choosing to consume that mushy gunk is something I will never understand. 3/10
  4. Casserole – What actually is casserole? Literally who even eats this? 2/10. 
  5. Pie – I love pie so much I could cry. This really shouldn’t hit as hard as it does, but it always ends up making my entire Thanksgiving day. A fan-favorite is apple, but a creamy chocolate pie will truly make me tear up. I love pie. 10/10
  6. Brussel Sprouts – There are many foods that deserve their bad reputation, and brussel sprouts aren’t one of them. As long as they have that crispy and salty exterior, then sign me up. I am not one to usually enjoy green food, but brussels sprouts I can actually get on board with. 7/10

I hope this gives you some insight as to which foods are worth it or not when you’re walking up to the Thanksgiving buffet. Get out those tongs and eat girl!