Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

“GUTS” by Olivia Rodrigo 4/10

On September 8th, 2023, three-time Grammy Award winner Olivia Rodrigo released her second album “GUTS”. Rodrigo became a TikTok sensation after releasing her debut album “SOUR,” which received over  385 million streams during its first week. However, some fans have mixed feelings about her newest tracklist. 

Rodrigo’s album “SOUR” mainly produced pop tracks, whereas “GUTS ” was closer to rock, with a teen angst vibe highlighted throughout the album. The change in genre was intense and left listeners feeling conflicted over her new sound.  

“GUTS” also failed in its artistry. The album was all over the place, from some songs resembling those on Disney’s “Lemonade Mouth” soundtrack while others seemed to talk rather than sing. It’s very clear that her days of being a Disney Channel star are still in her.

Of course, some fans appreciated the genre shift. As she’s able to make a variety of songs, many argue she is a more well-rounded and diverse artist. On the other hand, many fans disapprove, claiming, she should just stick with her former style as she now sounds “whiny and annoying”. 

To say that the whole album was awful would be dishonest. “Vampire” and “Teenage Dream” were fun listens. After the singles were released, “Vampire” went viral on Tiktok, resulting in over 360,000,000 streams on Spotify and being the top-played song at the moment.

Would we willingly listen to this entire album again? Probably not. But we urge you guys to give it a listen and consider whether Olivia Rodrigo is a one-hit wonder, or if she’s got more to give than just a trending TikTok song.