Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

That’s So Wilson (we wish): Our interpretation of Wilson’s new vision statement

Whenever Raven Baxter of Disney Channel’s “That’s So Raven” had one of her psychic visions, it was always without context, and came with little information regarding how or when that glimpse of the future would turn up in the present.

Wilson’s new vision statement lacks context, just like Raven’s psychic insights. But unlike Raven’s visions, which may have benefitted from a little more information, Wilson’s vision statement is purposefully vague. The community mentioned in the statement is not going to materialize on its own, so we have to work towards building a better Wilson, and everyone should be a part of the discussion.

The vision committee worked for almost a year to perfect the 31-word statement, and now every student, teacher, and staff member has an obligation to reflect upon it. The Beacon has pored over the statement, and we’ve thought about what each part of it means for us. This is what we came up with, but it’s only a start.

Safe:

Wilson should not be a place dominated by fear. That includes fear of being physically hurt, robbed, or harassed, but also fear of being judged or punished for being yourself. Students should feel safe to express themselves, and encouraged to explore who they are within these hallowed halls.

Additionally, no student should feel targeted, trapped, or persecuted by personnel. Policies need to be reasonable (we’re talking dress code here), and they should be enforced fairly and appropriately.

Supportive and Welcoming:

Students should have easy access to academic, emotional, and medical support. The general atmosphere of Wilson should be supportive and encouraging enough that students feel comfortable seeking aid when they need it, and confident that no one will judge them for it. New ideas should be welcomed in the classroom, and new participants should be welcomed into groups and activities.

Community:

The school should be more united. There should be more school spirit; ideally there would be more people at sports events, theater productions, and other events showcasing Wilson students. Self-segregation is a major issue standing in the way of a united Wilson.

Dedicated and Self-Reflective learners:

The ideal is that students are driven to learn–not just to check the boxes, but to find subjects that interest them, and pursue these subjects outside of the classroom. Every student isn’t going to love every class, but overall, classes should be engaging and stimulating, and encourage students to apply their newfound knowledge to all aspects of their lives.

Joyfully:

Students shouldn’t dread going to class, and teachers shouldn’t dread going to work. More fun opportunities could help create a more enjoyable environment; music in the halls, activities at STEP, more field trips, and assemblies.

Active citizenship:

Engagement in our communities should be a universal priority. This includes class communities, the school community, the local community, the city, the country, and even the world, if you’re feeling ambitious.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             These interpretations are by no means the only ones that can be drawn, and there is certainly room for more ideas from more people. All members of the Wilson community should be thinking about what the elements of the vision statement mean to them, and what Wilson would look like if all the goals for improvement were reached. Otherwise, the vision for the future of our school will never come to fruition.

Raven Baxter’s visions may have always came true no matter how hard she tried to stop them, but for us, the goals of the vision statement will only become reality if people work towards them. When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade– and when a Vision Committee gives you a vision statement, you work hard to turn that vision into a reality.

GRAPHIC BY ALEXEI GIRDIS