Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

Staff Editorial: Students have the power to effect change

A sea of Wilson students sit knee to knee on a dusty linoleum floor, clinging to the fear and hope that they all share. Reflecting in silence, they remember those who died in Parkland, whom they didn’t know, but still grieve for. They also mourn the laughs and smiles of the individuals in their own community whom they’ve lost to bullets. Around the country, thousands of high school students similarly marched out of class on March 14 to condemn Congress’ inaction regarding gun control, even after countless signs of the need for such reform.

The voice of the youth has the potential to be the loudest and strongest voice in the nation. This has been shown time and time again, most recently during last week’s protest. We have a unique opportunity as students in the nation’s capital to confront social justice issues head on.

Tomorrow, March 24, you will again be given an opportunity to take a stand and fight for change. We recognize that this is unique and that students who live far away from DC may not always share this

In a city where we are within mere miles of the seat of the government, we can have our voices heard directly by our lawmakers. We owe it to the students who live far away to show up tomorrow and use our voices on behalf of theirs. As a staff, we aim to be the voice of the Wilson population. Similarly, we believe that DC students have the capacity to be the voice of American students.

Change is almost never given or handed out; it’s demanded. We must demand that the government begin to make policies that ensure the safety of its citizens. If not, then these mass shootings and firearm-induced casualties will continue to happen. By blatantly ignoring our voices, the government is enabling the frequent gun violence that plagues America.

Although the citizens of Washington, DC do not have voting representation in Congress, which is an injustice in and of itself, we can still vote for our local leaders who are the first intermediaries in protecting our interests. Just last week we saw over 200 students, aged 16 and older, register and preregister to vote in the Wilson atrium. We not only must march to Capitol Hill, but also to the ballot boxes. We are the leaders of the future, but we can make a change now.

PHOTO BY BEACON PHOTO EDITORS