Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

Jackson-Reed Digital Media teacher presents at The Friendship Gallery

The Friendship Gallery and the Kindalew Collective presented “An Autumn Impromptu” earlier this month, showcasing the works of local artists in the DMV area, including Jackson-Reed Digital Media and CTE teacher, Grover Massenburg’s metal prints of urban designs. 

The exhibit, curated by Llewellyn Berry, was housed in the Friendship Heights Village Community Center. The gallery housed over 45 artworks varying in mediums, most of which for sale, including four of Massenburg’s charming prints. 

Massenburg was initially invited to the gallery where the exhibit coordinator selected his specific works. His artwork is mainly inspired by dynamic architecture. “The Hudson Highline… was mainly shapes, colors, and lines,” he said while describing the artwork. 

His digital prints displayed in the Impromptu were some of his first pieces experimenting with metal prints. Hoping to dabble with new mediums and colors, he shares how he “tried prints in black-in-white, and was pleased with the results.” Massenburg hopes to showcase more of his photos in upcoming exhibits depending on his availability. 

Showcasing pieces from several other creators as well, the gallery included work from Russel Lewis, who explored the use of brown paper bags and textured canvases to depict his mixed media portraits. Other artists included Pual Zepatka who played with vibrant oil paint on canvas and Edna Knox Davin who utilized stoneware on aluminum steel. 

From acrylic on canvas and chalk pastel to digital prints, the local artwork decorated the halls of the recreational center, each special with its unique mediums and depictions, lighting up the sleepy neighborhood during this quiet season. Although you missed this showcase, the center will be hosting another exhibit running from Monday, Jan. 8, through Saturday, Feb. 3, with a focus on printmaking!